Friday, January 23, 2009

The Picture Bible - - the timeless stories of the Bible, in full color! (it's what the cover says)

remember the The Picture Bible? I seriously used to spend hours upon hours pouring over this comic-style bible ("how could Jezebel be sooo beautiful and yet so eeeeeevil?" I would ask myself, "and were those things hanging around her face earrings . . . or part of her headdress?")
Well, fantastic Rachel tracked down a copy of this classic for Malachai and, of course, he loves it.
So I pulled him and the bible up onto my lap last night (one of my unwritten, unspoken, unprocessed resolutions for 2009 is to stop making my kids have to beg me so much for me to sit down with them and read them their bibles), and I read him the account of when Elijah throws his cloak onto Elisha - - calling Elisha to follow him. Well, if you remember, Elisha is willing but asks if he can first say goodbye to his Ma and Pa, . . . and . . . Elijah says yes.

"very interesting", I thought, "doesn't Jesus say the exact opposite to his followers? weird."

At some point later on in the evening, Joshua - - who had, the whole time that I was reading to Malachai, been sitting across the room translating some book into Spanish, said to me,"I wonder if Jesus' call to the disciples was purposefully juxtaposed to Elijah's - - blatantly identifying his person as greater and his call as higher than Elijah's."

Joshua's pretty awesome that way.

he doesn't just wonder about the mystery, he finds an answer.

I think I want to do more of that in 2009 - - So I there's my other resolution for 2009 (and look, I'm writing it down!)

p.s. yes, I know I had to write down my first resolution to tell you that it was unwritten; just gloss over that part.

9 comments:

Jacquelyn said...

I love "Bible Manga". I don't know what version you have but in mine Esther had the most fabulous blue eye shadow ... I couldn't wait to grow up and get to wear make up after reading Esther as a kid (not the point of the story I'm sure.)

Unknown said...

I too fondly remember spending hours reading the Picture Bible. For awhile, the only story my Rachel wanted was Noah and she would excitedly point out the idol. Oh well, it was a good chance to teach "We worship God; we don't worship idols!"

emily said...

you are such a delight. reading your blog is like a breath of intellectual (and spiritual) fresh air. I {heart} your family.

Heather Pelczar said...

i never heard of a picture Bible but I think May would love it. Where did Rachel find that one? Good thoughts. Encouraging and inspiring. Love you guys.

Unknown said...

CBD often has it in their catalog.

Unknown said...

"I wonder if Jesus' call to the disciples was purposefully juxtaposed to Elijah's - - blatantly identifying his person as greater and his call as higher than Elijah's."
really?
he uses juxtaposed?
wow and awesome!
:)

NicoleDesiree85 said...

Oh my goodness!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE that picture Bible. I still have mine--its falling apart now, but I actually bought 2 or 3 new ones recently and gave them to a few of the children I babysit. Oh how much fun it was to read those stories :)

Abigail said...

that shirt looks way cute on Rachel - so very cute!

Abigail said...

oh wait! or is that you? - oh no I cant tell!...well who ever it is looks fabulous. hehe