Wednesday, November 04, 2009

food, and the people behind the food

We sat down for lunch yesterday - - we were eating baguette sandwiches with jamon and sauteed green peppers - - and Malachai announced to us how much he loved Spanish green peppers, and mused abit about how much he had liked the peppers we had eaten when our friends Brian and Sarah visited us from Rome . And when Malachai volunteered to thank God for our lunch, he forgot to mention the food, but he did pray that many people in Rome would enjoy hearing about Jesus, and that "not just that, but that they would also get to enjoy the church with Brian and Sarah"

I layed in bed alone last night, thinking.
Joshua was dropping Brett and Isabel off after movie night, and my mind was racing, thinking about the events and conversations of the day. I remembered the green peppers and the memory trigger that the peppers were for Malachai - - and I realized the tremendous list of recipes that I have in my recipe book that do the exact same thing for me. I can't help but think of Caroline when make pizza dough, Catherine when I roast tomatoes, Whitney when I make green thai curry, mom when I make scones, Luke when the pasta maker comes out, Chris as I skewer the bb-q beef sticks,Ginny when I make those sugar cookies that the Spaniards always request the recipe for . . . (and that's the extremely abbreviated list)

I wonder what recipes you might have that remind you of someone you love?

7 comments:

darcie said...

hmmm, I like this-for recipes have stories-don't you think? I like to call it "fond association"? and by the way, I think of you when I make chocolate stout cake. . .

Amy Medina said...

Newton Foccacia bread. Enough said.

Kimberly said...

I think of my mom when I make chocolate chip cookies and my sister when I make German chocolate thumbprint cookies and my mother in law when I make cornbread. And of course, when I see a bag of puffy cheetos (I know, not a recipe) I think of you.

Anonymous said...

Can I have the Newton Focaccia bread recipe? I have some fresh basil that needs to be picked. Company for dinner on Friday night and the bread would be perfect!

Thanks,

Ginny

Heather Pelczar said...

I think about you and Rachel and your Mom every time I fail at making brisket. You sure you can't just come up and teach me? lol I have got to be doing something terribly wrong.

Unknown said...

I made your rice with peas just last night, and so I of course thought of you, and I remembered when you served it to my kiddos in Spain and how I couldn't stop eating it...and it was the same last night...I miss you!

Caroline said...

I think of my lovely family in NY when we make pasta or pizza, and of my mother when I make pumpkin torte, and I think of my grandma when I make bread, and of my grandad when I make soup, and of you when I make strong coffee and have it with milk.:)