Friday, April 17, 2009

Artichokes were everywhere at the local market this week; they are a local grown favorite here in our region of Spain. I bought a dozen - - that's how they come. I don't know much about preparing artichokes. I should . . . from what I hear from Rachel, the first time that Mom's high class family met Papi, he was camping out in an artichoke field.
Romantic, yeah?
and you would think that there would be more artichoke family recipes in the repituar, right?

but I always just steam them.

I steamed the first six on Tuesday.
and arranged the remaining seven (they must have given me a generous dozen) into a lovely local flora bouquet.
and tonight I tore it apart and tried something new - -
I peeled several layers of leaves off, and cut off the tips,
quartered them,
tossed them with olive oil, course salt, and minced garlic,
roasted them at 425 for 20 minutes
or maybe 30
till they were all toasty.
and squeezed a lemon over them.
I think I liked them better roasted than steamed
aha. now I know how to steam and roast artichokes.
building up the repertoire.

6 comments:

Cat said...

<--- fan of artichokes. Wish I was at your house.

Wait, you included the recipe! I could do that! :D

Unknown said...

looove artichokes! Good job!!

oohhh, a friend of mine (apparently) has the best 'stuffed artichoke' recipe... I'll try to get it for you. It involves, artichokes, garlic, parmesean, olive oil, bread crumbs, .... sauteeing things and then stuffing them in between the leaves ... and baking?
anyway....apparently they are like a party in your mouth!

Heather Pelczar said...

hmmmm....did you thin that up all by yourself? I only know how to steam them, too. I will try this one though. :)

Abigail said...

an artichoke bouquet - hmmm you are so very cool naomi!

Naomi Smith said...

ok, why am I so lame about answering comments on my blog when I like them so much? here I go (a bazillion weeks late)

Catherine. I wish you were here too. it would improve the artichoke recipe 100%

Sam. daaaaaang! if your friend is willing to give a recipe away for "party in mouth" pass it along!

Heather. I think I thought it up . . . (but who knows?) one tip - - be aggressive about tearing the outer leaves off. I should have torn a few more layers off.

Abi. you are in luck; cool runs in the blood!

D. Coppin said...

I love this artichoke essay!