Friday, August 01, 2008

the joy of knowing that you're not the hot stuff you once thought you were

I realized something the other day.

I realized that sometimes, I think that we're some the best parents we know. (do I sicken you? keep reading, keep reading, my friend!)

so these past couple of months we have been traveling around, and have been invited into the homes and lives of so many wonderful families; and all of a sudden we're not the best anymore; there are people out there that are doing such an outstanding, bang-up job of parenting that it puts me to shame.

oh, it's fantastic!

isn't the church wonderful that way? I really am convinced that that is part of God's purpose in the Church - - that as we see other Christians living faithfully, we realize that we're not that great after all. yes. I like the church. I don't mind not being the best, and I'm excited about being better.

5 comments:

Corey said...

Naomi, I'd love to know what insight you've gained...I think you're a GREAT parent, so it would be interesting to hear what you seen/learned.

Unknown said...

Well, whatever you are seeing is what we saw while you were here, your parenting is wonderful and puts me to shame (in a good way, just like you said...) It's good to have examples to follow.

Heather Pelczar said...

HA!!! I love how honest you are. I feel the same way. almost all the time. I feel like I need a babysitter sometimes. for me. lol
Thank the Lord for His relationship with us! Without the perfect parent watching over me with this little girl, I am sure I would break her somehow.

Suzanne Lefler said...

It was so much fun seeibg the whole Smith family. We will miss you.

Naomi Smith said...

Corey, Gab,
too kind! too kind!
I do have it in my (mental) list to ,at some point, record these lessons learned. I have to think about how to organize it.