Thursday, February 15, 2007



we went to our local farmer's market this week - - something I am trying to do more often. I have realized that when I shop at the grocery store, it is a passive shopping experience and that when I go to the market, I have to brace myself for a more aggressive shopping experience - - having to shop around at all the stands, evaluating the price/wait time ratio, asserting your preferences ("one kilo of apples please, and make sure they aren't mushy like the ones you gave me last week . . . "), being pushed by the vendor to make split second decisions on what you want to buy, and how much of it, etc . . .
it's all worth it, of course; I always end up with better produce at a better price - - and I am surrounded by the people of my community (and the guy who sells candy and sweet rolls sings his advertisement! and how could I not be drawn in by that?)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those oranges look delicious!

Naomi Smith said...

we've been making orange juice like crazy!

Anonymous said...

so, I wonder how much you're paying for oranges in the market in Pamplona?

miss you
love, Mom